Edinburgh Young Persons' Service - Supporting Our Young Adults (SOYA)
Providing housing and support for care experienced young people who are transitioning from local authority care, helping them to find stability and independence while planning for their future.
What do we do
Part of our Edinburgh Young Persons’ Service, SOYA is made up of 10 self-contained flats, all located near a central hub, which is staffed seven days a week. Living in the project helps young people to understand what it means to have a home and to develop a sense of belonging. When the time is right young people are supported to find and move to permanent tenancies.
SOYA aims to encourage young people to move on to independent living through one to one trauma-informed and person centred support, a variety of group activities, and various opportunities such as volunteering. These activities help to develop the skills needed to successfully find and manage a flat, work through life’s challenges, try new things, and learn to see the best in themselves and fulfil their unique potential. Support helps them to achieve their own individual goals and shape their lives for a more positive future.
How we can help you
Responsive support is provided to set up and manage their flat and can be practical, social, or emotional in nature.
We provide a range of support and care to help young people:
- Set up a flat including getting furnishings and decoration, setting up utility bills such as gas and electric, and help to access benefits
- Gain or improve independent living skills
- Improve wellbeing – advice on maintaining a healthy lifestyle, shopping, cooking, staying active, and looking after mental health
- Finding a job, volunteering, and training opportunities
- Improve finances - deal with debt, maximise benefits
- Access specialist services to help with mental and physical health, substance misuse, criminal justice, or caring responsibilities
- Engage with statuary and voluntary services
Staff are really helpful. Always there when you need them. I have always been treated with the utmost respect. A really excellent service for existing and future young people.Supporting Our Young Adults service user
How can you get support
Referrals to this service must be made via the Throughcare / Aftercare Housing and Support Panel. If you would like more information, please contact us.
Thank you to our funders
This service is funded by the Life Changes Trust.